Saturday, October 25, 2014

Rekindled hobby

So now that I don't have school in my life, Jeff told me I needed to get some hobbies. So I decided to start actively sewing again. And to start this, I had to call my mother and her ask her the likelihood that I would get my sewing machine back. It was small. So I got to go buy a new one. Now I've had the same sewing machine my entire life. It's the one my mom got me for my birthday way back in the day and it was your basic $100 beginning sewing machine. So imagine my surprise when I walk into the local sewing machine shop and get introduced to all the new things that machines do now. (funny sidenote: Jeff didn't know there were sewing machine stores before I told him I was going to one). And since I didn't want a quilting sewing machine, I was directed to a completely different area of the store than Nani and Sue hang out in. So the really nice gay guy showed me this machine that did crazy awesome things. It threads your needle for you, does the back and forth at the end of the seam itself, and cuts the threads so you dont have trailing threads everywhere. I was in love. It also didnt have a peddle which I thought was weird, but thats how it works now so I went with it. But then he informed me it was a Babylock and it $1200. I asked what else they had.

But then he totally hooked me up. He told me that Babylock and Brother are actually sister companies, and like Ford and Mercury, are the same machines just one has leather seats. So he found the same machine (minus some things I would never use) for $500. So I took that one. It's a Brother Simplicity and I love it. I feel very grownup.

So for my first project I did a basic shirt to just reaffirm my sewing skills. And then I went crazy. I took Jeff to the fabric store and he pointed out some pinky orange sparkly zebra print knit and said "what about curtains for the living room?" Backstory: we bought these tables at Ikea in "high gloss turquoise" and are doing a crazy living room. We're looking at this apartment as the place to have fun. Since we'll only be here a short time we don't have to buy investment pieces and can pick sparkly zebra fabric for curtains. So thats what we're doing. Lots of color! So I made curtains today. Fully lined with grommet curtains. Out of knit fabric. I'm pretty sure the knit fabric part made it about 100 times harder than it should have been, but I used an actual curtain lining fabric for the back so I was able to stabilize it a bit.

Up-close of the fabric 
the finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment